Pages

Thursday, February 3, 2011

Writing is a disease

Seriously. If it weren't for the fact that it's good to let your creative juices flow sometimes, I probably would never ever write another story again - or attempt to finish another novel (and I have never finished a novel, just to let you know - but who's asking?). 


Writing is more of a mental disease than a profession or a hobby - I think every author will tell you that. It's a frustratingly addictive force for us writers who get the jitters when we don't write for more than six hours. That's bad - trust me, I know. When I moved to a new house (right across the block from our old house) I couldn't keep still because my dad hadn't set up the computer yet and all my writing stuff that I wanted to continue was on that thing (I know, bad idea. Always keep a hard copy. Lesson learned) and I literally COULD NOT KEEP STILL because I was THAT impatient to continue writing. And then a week or so later when my dad FINALLY set the whole thing up, I sat down at my desk to write . . . and absolutely nothing came to mind. NOTHING. How frustrating is that, you wonder? Let me tell you, EXTREMELY frustrating. 


Writing is hard. It is, I swear! You have this tremendously awesome idea in your head and maybe even the whole darn storyline plotted out into perfectly miniature movie scenes (like I do) but when you go to write it out on paper, or type it on a computer, you end up staring at that stupid blank thing for who knows how long. Argh!! 


The only trouble I don't have with writing is writing these blog posts, mostly because I'm letting out my feelings of frustration here. Actually, I started this post last night but never got to finish because it was getting late and I had to sleep, but afterwards, I got this brilliant idea for this novel I've been trying to finish for the past two years and for the two other novels that go along with it, and I was like, "Hey! A spark!" And then I went to write it down on paper, and . . . (drum roll please) . . . SOMETHING ACTUALLY CAME OUT. I was SOOOOOOO happy! 


But yeah, those are the rare times. I have school tomorrow (finally) after a week's worth of pushed-back midterm days and two snow days in a row . . . so I won't get to write like I am now, which is a huge bummer. But oh well. At least I got the idea written down last night, right? That's what counts. So there we go. 


The point of this story? Writing is a disease, and if you are a writer, then be prepared for the rest of your life to fight this thing with all your might until you defeat it and come out victorious - by which I mean, at least one writing piece finished.  

5 comments:

  1. Lol so true...

    I've finished two writing pieces already, yet I don't feel victorious. Hmm..

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're better than me. I finished NONE.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So? You won the Gold Key, not me, right? :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah, but that truly came as a surprise. I swear I wasn't expecting it because I personally think that short story wasn't one of my best.

    ReplyDelete

Did you hear that? It's the sound of the keyboard being abused. It's a skill every writer/blogger needs to know. If you don't know it, go back to high school. Ohhh....wait. They don't teach you that in high school. Darn it. What ARE they teaching kids these days? Anyway, just leave a comment, and remember next to abuse your keyboard, because it's there to feel your rambling fingers.