Pages

Thursday, February 3, 2011

NAMES!!!

Writing is a disease. 


And I have it baaaaaaaaaaad. 


What's the big idea? 


Here's the problem: Names. I can't even decide on names for my characters, and I. AM. SERIOUSLY. STRESSING. OUT. ABOUT. THIS. Yes, you can tell I'm the type of person who freaks at just about the slightest thing. This is one of those. I'm having a moment right now, so could you please ruin it. PLEASE!!! 


All right, y'all must be about 100% confused about right now, so I'll clear it up right now. I just needed to get it out, you see. I have a question: Is it wrong to steal someone else's character name for your story?

For example, I really really really REALLY like the name Isilee, which Shannon Hale uses in her book, The Goose Girl for her main character Anidori-Kiladra Talianna Isilee. First she goes by Ani, but by the end of the book and for the rest of the Books of Bayern series she goes by the name Isi, as a shortened version of a part of her extremely long first name, Isilee. So you see, I really want to use this name, but I don't want to sound unorginal by copying another author's uniquely-devised name. Hale made this name up - it doesn't exist in real life. I almost wish she didn't make it up, that way it would be different. But unfortunately, it's all due to Hale's cleverness that the name now is in existence, and she's the only one to use to BECAUSE SHE MADE IT UP. So, is it wrong? I know it's not plagiarism, but still, there's such a wrong feeling of utter un-originality about this that I'm not sure what to do. 



 Someone please answer me quick! I'm in a dilemma here.   

1 comment:

  1. Find her blog and ask for permission! (I'm only half-joking about this. Seriously)

    ReplyDelete

Did you hear that? It's the sound of the keyboard being abused. It's a skill every writer/blogger needs to know. If you don't know it, go back to high school. Ohhh....wait. They don't teach you that in high school. Darn it. What ARE they teaching kids these days? Anyway, just leave a comment, and remember next to abuse your keyboard, because it's there to feel your rambling fingers.