Pages

Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Feelings of nostalgia

I know Im posting a lot today - more than usual, at least. Well, it's just because I have a lot of time to think about stuff OTHER than school and to sort out my thoughts. And here's what I came up with: We take a lot of things for granted. 


Actually, I think we take most everything for granted. From anything to our eyesight to the fact that we have a roof over our heads and food in our stomach. But most of all, for those of us who've had a nice childhood, we take that for granted. 


That'd be me, unfortunately. Right now I'm listening to Japanese songs, actually, I'm listening to a particular song over and over again. See, I have a little history with that country, or rather, I have history in that country. I grew up there for the beginning part of my life, before I moved to New York. I went there with my parents when I was two-almost-three and stayed there until I was seven. So a good, solid four years, at least. And I had a lot of fun there; at least, I had fun of the times that I remember spending there, and from the pictures and videos I saw.  Yup. I had a lot of fun. The Japanese culture is very unique and they have a distinct sense of themselves, since it's for the most part a very homogeneous country. So we (my parents and I) still feel a connection to there and thus satisfy those feelings by sometimes eating sushi and the other traditional Japanese foods that we used to eat back when we lived there. 


My point is, when we were living there, except on weekends and school holidays and festival times (they have A LOT of those) I didn't think too much on it because I was living there, going to school there; basically going about a normal life. But now that I reflect back on it and see the pictures and watch the home videos again, I think how fun it was and how many people get to live in such a unique country in their lifetime - during their childhood? Let me tell you, hardly any. But I did, and I thank God for everything (and of course, my parents) and I dearly regret not making every moment count back then and now I would do anything to go back to that time and relive it again and again, forever and ever. But I can't. 


So, the moral of this story? People, make it count. No matter who you are, where you are, life is short and expected to be lived to the utmost best. And no matter what condition we are in, we still have to be grateful that we aren't any worse because there's so much suffering in this world today and thank God (or whatever you believe in) that you're here today, alive, and reading a blog post with an eyesight. 

2 comments:

  1. This was an insightful post. However, you were young when you were in Japan. You didn't think like this when you were in Japan. Regreting the fact that you didn't make every moment count is kind of putting yourself down, don't you think?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not putting myself down, I'm just saying how I feel. It's the truth, isn't it? I just really want to go back.

    ReplyDelete

Did you hear that? It's the sound of the keyboard being abused. It's a skill every writer/blogger needs to know. If you don't know it, go back to high school. Ohhh....wait. They don't teach you that in high school. Darn it. What ARE they teaching kids these days? Anyway, just leave a comment, and remember next to abuse your keyboard, because it's there to feel your rambling fingers.