Pages

Friday, September 30, 2011

When in trouble, when in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout

Now there's a rhyme to remember for life, ain't it? Yes it is, so be a good blogger and don't argue with me. You won't win. 


By the way, random question: 
Do you like pickles? 
I do. In fact, I think they're awesome. 


But you know what I think is NOT awesome? AT ALL?


Can you guess?


Come on, I'm a senior in high school (ooh, big age reveal), I'm gonna apply to colleges soon, but before I do, there's one more thing I need to do. 


Yup.


The SATs. 


Actually, this is my third time taking, but heck, first time, third time, doesn't make too much of a difference, except for the fact that I've pretty much gotten sick of the repetitive questions (and still I can't get all of them right, dammit!) and it's still wasting four hours of an would've-been perfect Saturday morning. Grr.  


But anyway, you think that just taking it is all? And there's nothing else to it? Well, think again. Here's the way real life goes, my friends, and it's not the pretty little picture you painted in your head with unicorns and rainbows and pots of gold. Nope. Nothing like that at all. 


Here's what the real scenario looks like: 


A year before the SAT: What's that? 
Six months before the SAT: Oh, BS, I have months to study. I'm gonna go out, have fun, and have a  social life is what I'm gonna do! 
Three months before the SAT: All right, I'm taking an SAT-prep class, so I'm all good and cool. Just gotta keep up and look like I know exactly what's going on and I'll be fine. 
A month before the SAT: Eh, I did some practice problems, did the SAT Question of the Day every day . . . or every other day . . . or maybe once a week . . . hmm, that's a problem. Well, I still have time to study. Gotta hit those books! 
The night before the SAT: OMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'M GONNA FAIL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!


And here's the scenario AFTER the test (no matter what number): 


Minutes after the test is over, waiting for my dad to pick me up: My mind's all fuzzy, I think my brain's shutting down, my hands are hot and cold at the same time, and oh my gosh I think I just bombed that math section! 
A month after the test: Hooray, results! (opens collegeboard account, adds up score) Boo. I'm not worth an Ivy-admission
A month and a half after the test: OMG the SAT's in two and a half weeks (AGAIN!) I'm gonna stick my nose (for real this time) in those books and never come out until it's over. 


.........


Senior year begins. Whaddya think happens when you get four AP classes, one Honors class, and some electives that actually require you to do work? No time, that's what. 


.........


The night before the SATs (once again): HOLY F***ING CRAP I'M GONNA FAIL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (Inner self says, "don't be pessimistic, you'll be fine" outer self says, "damn you for not studying!!! and darn you for cursing when you promised to stay clean!)


See what this nightmare test has put me through? Three times. That takes a lot out of a teenage girl's life. 


This is the point that I am currently stuck on as of this moment. Life's good, ain't it?  

1 comment:

  1. LOOOOOOOL remember when you called me? To tell me all about "OMG IM GONNA FAIL!"

    ReplyDelete

Did you hear that? It's the sound of the keyboard being abused. It's a skill every writer/blogger needs to know. If you don't know it, go back to high school. Ohhh....wait. They don't teach you that in high school. Darn it. What ARE they teaching kids these days? Anyway, just leave a comment, and remember next to abuse your keyboard, because it's there to feel your rambling fingers.